Thursday, June 5, 2014

3 years and 3 goals for marriage!

Today is our 3 year anniversary!


 Photography by: Mozingo Photography
I sure do love this man God has allowed me to spend my life with! This summer will mean a total of 9 whole years together - and we sure have come a long way from our 15 and 17 year old dating days!


Our first picture together on my 16th birthday!

We've spent a simple, quiet anniversary together. A little less adventurous than our first anniversary where we went camping and Justin was electrocuted due to lighting! Needless to say that trip was cut short.


After dinner at Olive Garden, which has become tradition, we took a stroll down by the lake in our neighborhood. I just love the lighting around dusk!






So in honor of 3 years I wanted to share 3 goals I have for our marriage ... and perhaps yours as well.

1) Have a marriage more beautiful then my wedding.
You've probably heard this one before, but it is so important. You spend a lot of time preparing and planning for your wedding, making sure each detail is perfect. As wonderful and special as the day is, it is just one day and speaking from experience, it goes by so quickly that you barely remember it. Much more important than the wedding is preparing for a life long commitment to each other and continuing to strength your marriage after the honeymoon is over. I desire for my marriage to be one that exhibits forgiveness, patience, respect, support, and an intimate love for each other and God.

2) May our wedding day be the day we love each other the least.
Isn't this a simply beautiful idea? But it also means being intentional about strengthening our marriage and choosing love each and every day. I'm pretty sure it has been true each day so far!

3) Become more like Jesus.
You grow so much as a couple when you begin to truly build a life together and make decisions together. You learn things about yourself, mostly how selfish you are, and you learn something new about your spouse everyday. I can think of  few better ways to become more like Jesus than [attempting to] exhibit unconditional, "agape" love, towards your spouse and serving each other daily. I've learned how important it is to pray for both my husband and our marriage. I have learned how to be more selfless. I've explored what the Bible says about conflict, finances, our roles as husband and wife, and I know that Justin has pushed me, as I have him, to continually become more like Jesus in the way we love each other and others. We are a team -- in our home and in ministry.

And that's all she wrote folks. Tomorrow morning, EARLY, we are headed to Honduras for a week long mission trip! Say a prayer for us!







2 comments:

  1. First of all, Happy Anniversary!
    Second, Bon Voyage!
    Third, I bookmarked this. I love your goals and they are written beautifully. We feel the same way and pray for the same! Thank you for writing this!

    ReplyDelete